[clug] Help Needed - peercast relays and local music

John Griffiths johnboy at the-riotact.com
Fri Apr 11 08:10:09 EST 2003

Having run a relay for 24 hours now it appears to put negligible load
onto disk or CPU.

for a 30Kbps stream (the target - sound quality might force us up to 35,
god forbid 40) the network load is about a constant 35Kbps in/out
(remember its a relay)

add an extra 30kbps outbound for every additional stream you can host
(one is good for increasing visibility in the p2p network, but multiple
outbound streams helps witgh propogation).

TransACT Webone customers *shouldn't* get billed on the 30kbps inbound
if it's coming from another transact webone peer (that'll take some
tweaking).

I think we can engineer the base relay network by using direct icecast
links, have to find out about that once we get started

Does that help?

Michael Still wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, John Griffiths wrote:
>

>>What I'm after right now is expressions of interest from anyone willing
>>to host a relay for a 30Kbs Ogg stream.
>

> Can you give us a hint as to what is involved in relaying a stream? Is it
> disk intensive, network intensive?
>
> Mikal

- --

"I live in the Managerial Age, in a world of "Admin." The
greatest evil is not now done in those sordid "dens of
crime" that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in
concentration camps and labour camps. In those we see its
final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved,
seconded, carried, and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed
and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars
and cut fingernails and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need
to raise their voices. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol
for Hell is something like the bureaucracy of a police state
or the office of a thoroughly nasty business concern."

- - C. S. Lewis

John "Johnboy" Griffiths - RiotACT Editor

http://the-riotact.com
Ph: 0412 690 643
ICQ UIN: 7933859
email: johnboy at the-riotact.com