IDE Raid Controllers

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Sep 11 20:18:29 EST 2002

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 05:44:21PM +1000, Karun wrote:
> Hello,
> Has anybody used any IDE raid controller cards at all? What do people think
> about the one they have if any?
> Im planning on buying one, but not sure which one to get/use.

We have an Escalade 7450. Seems to be fine.

Advantages:
  - As the other person said, appears as a SCSI device
  - Can be put in a 64-bit PCI slot for extra performance
  - Has array setup completly in firmware. No special software required.
  - There is a daemon to manage the card via a web interface
  - Can do backup verification and media scans
  - Driver comes with kernel source (though its a bit old)
  - Linux support is good
  - Other disks can be attached and appear as plain disk (JBODs :) )

Disadvantages:
  - Like the other guy said, disks in proprietry format
  - Not too many tuning options (advantage?)
  - Probably some others, can't think of anything right now.

Hope this helps,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/