IDE Raid Controllers

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Wed Sep 11 17:57:33 EST 2002

At 5:44 PM +1000 02/9/11, Karun wrote:
>Hello,
>Has anybody used any IDE raid controller cards at all? What do people think
>about the one they have if any?
>Im planning on buying one, but not sure which one to get/use.

We're using the escolade 7850.  Seems OK.
Briefly:
Advantages:
  . it appears to be a scsi drive and takes some load off the cpu.
  . Some of them have battery backed write through cache.

Disadvantages:
  . You need a spare in case it stuffs up.
  . The disks are in a proprietary format.

Modern systems are fast enough that the extra load is not really a problem.  If you use software raid you can put the disks on another system, distro etc and hopefully have it come back up.

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)