Is Novell still in the dark ages?

Dale Shaw DShaw at exceed.com.au
Tue Sep 3 15:59:57 EST 2002

I wasn't comparing NetWare and Unix, I was comparing NetWare and
Windows. I can see how it wasn't clear, especially on this list.
Apologies..

The same sort of things applies, though; you can't really use NetWare as
a "client" operating system *even you wanted to*. You don't sit down in
front of a NetWare server and read your e-mail, write scripts or browse
the web. If you want to use wonderful tools like greg, awk, pipes etc.
etc. then you can do it on a NetWare-connected client. It (the client)
could be running practically anything. NetWare can serve out files with
NFS, CIFS, Native NetWare (NCP), Native Mac (whatever).

I'm not trying to preach to the converted - I was just sticking up a bit
for NetWare. Having said that, I'm all about using the best tool for the
job and don't believe that Unix is always the best tool.

Let's talk about NDS :-)

Cheers,
Dale