Conference for promoting net censorship

Alex Pollard alex at lscforum.org
Mon Nov 11 21:15:46 EST 2002

A conference is being organised by NetAlert, which polices the net censorship
laws from last century. Censorship laws are now set to be expanded to include
protest websites.

from
http://www.active.org.au/canberra/news/index.php3?article_id=167

The net censorship controversy may appear to have gone away, but moves are
afoot.

NetAlert is organising a conference called "Growing Australia Online 2002".
NetAlert is a Government body with a panicky-sounding name which was
established to enforce the net censorship laws passed last century. The site
says

"If you want to be part of determining the way forward to "grow Australia
online" or if you consider that you have a role to play in determining the
way we manage internet content and access in Australia, you should be part of
this conference - but hurry because space is limited."

You also need a spare $500 to get in.

The recent agreement by police ministers that "violent protest websites"
should be banned tells us that the net censorship debate is about to be
restarted. The War on Abstract Nouns knows no bounds.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/printpage/0,5942,5437553,00.html

We can expect attempts to massage conference delegates in to agreeing with
the underlying premises of net censorship. We can expect talk about "tough
choices", e.g. Free Speech vs Community Safety. All of which will serve as a
platform for the next round of censorship law.

Rather than stand by and let the censorship agenda expand, activists need to
get active. Why not, for instance, demand a Bill of Online Rights? If you're
interested in setting up an alternative forum or simply don't like net
censorship, please add a comment below or email me at apollard at ozemail.com.au