ADSL with USB

daa daa at ieee.org
Tue Nov 12 00:00:20 EST 2002

>I'm about to get ADSL connected, and discovered that there are USB and
>Ethernet modems.

Given the choice, get an Ethernet modem. However, I've set up and
successfully run a bog standard Alcatel USB ADSL modem. These are the
ones Telstra give you. You will need at least kernel 2.4.19 to get
support for the ethernet->USB wigit that Telstra use. Make sure support
for all the USB network devices are compiled. I can't remember exactly
which chipset the Telstra wigits use.

Provided the kernel module for the wigit kicks in automatically (as it
should), the ADSL modem will be listed as one of the ethX network
devices under ifconfig. Just give the name of the device to the Roaring
Penguin config and off you go. I haven't had any drop out problems.

-D