404 errors with apt-get / apt-proxy

Matthew Hawkins matt at mh.dropbear.id.au
Fri Nov 8 17:05:57 EST 2002

Gough, Chris (Chris.Gough at cit.act.edu.au) wrote:
> I am running apt-proxy (apt-proxy.conf attached) and when i apt-get install
> XXX (sources.list attached), as often as not I am not sucess full due to
> '404' http errors, e.g:

Two things;

First, what the heck is '+planetmirror.net' (note the plus sign) meant
to do?  I'm hoping its a typo on your part in the config and hence the
cause of the problem.

The other thing is that you'll tend to get 404 errors if the rsync
server is full and hence you cannot get at the file.  This is often the
case with planetmirror in particular.

At home we use a custom apt-proxy which can handle http as well, the
trick with that is that it doesn't handle redirects, and planetmirror
makes extensive use of them.  But there's workarounds ;)

--
Matt