404 errors with apt-get / apt-proxy

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Nov 8 17:16:07 EST 2002

Gough, Chris wrote:
> I am running apt-proxy (apt-proxy.conf attached) and when i apt-get install
> XXX (sources.list attached), as often as not I am not sucess full due to
> '404' http errors, e.g:

My first guesses would be:
  - Is your web server on port 9999 properly configured to serve the
Debian CD from that URL?
  - Use a proxy, or use "localhost", but not both - otherwise the proxy
will be looking for the material on "localhost", which is not where the
material is located

I have a special web server called "Debian", which serves both the
static images and the apt-proxy written by a friend of mine.  Thus I
always use "debian" as the hostname:
  deb http://debian/cgi-bin/apt-proxy/debian sid main contrib non-free
  deb http://debian/cgi-bin/apt-proxy/debian-non-US sid/non-US main
contrip non-free