404 errors with apt-get / apt-proxy

Gough, Chris Chris.Gough at cit.act.edu.au
Fri Nov 8 15:53:55 EST 2002

I'm new to this Debian thing, so forgive me if this is an obvious question -
i've had a devil of a job finding any references to this problem on the web.

I am running apt-proxy (apt-proxy.conf attached) and when i apt-get install
XXX (sources.list attached), as often as not I am not sucess full due to
'404' http errors, e.g:

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Err http://localhost unstable/main libgnome-perl 0.7008-1.6
  404 File does not exist on any server
http://localhost:9999/debian/pool/main/libg/libgtk-perl/libgnome-perl_0.7008
-1.6_i386.deb  404 File does not exist on any server
E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with
--fix-missing?

The first time this happened, it was on an apt-get upgrade, immediately
after an apt-get update. I got screensfull of these errors. I tried adding
lots of sites to my apt-proxy.config, but couldn't see how it would help (it
didn't). I had apt-get install'ed dozens of packages sucessfully before this
started happening.

What's going on here?

chris gough

PS. yes, i did apt-get update after all changes to sources.list or
apt-proxy.conf.