mystified by mailto address

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 1 11:14:03 EST 2002

At 11:00 AM +1100 02/11/1, Bill Clarke wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 10:48, Simon Burton wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Been trying to contact this guy:
>> mailto:overcode+sdlgc at overcode.net
>> and have tried all kinds of combinations.
>> Is the '+' just a space? I don't think sylpheed
>> is handling the space (just dropping the first word).
>> Any ideas? He has other mailto addresses but
>> they all do this '+' thing:
> > http://isengard.overcode.net/~overcode/

The plus thing is an antispam technique.  I saw a discussion on it a few years(?) ago.  I seem to remember vaguely that in that system you give out codes that remain valid for certain lengths of time and after that are then rejected by your mailer.

>name+something at somewhere is sent to name at somewhere.  if your mailer is
>not accepting it then it's broken; lots of web-based mailers and forms
>won't accept name+something at somewhere which is really annoying since you
>can use the +something as a filter.
>
>cheers,
>/lib
>--
>/lib: Bill Clarke  ResearchScientist CAPResearch DeptCompSci ANU .au
>http://llib.cjb.net llib at computer.org  tel:+61-2-6125x5687 fax:x0010
>PGPid:B381EE7DB7D3E58F17248C672E2DA124ADADF444 GNU unix LaTeX XPilot
>Buffy DrWho Goodies StarTrek XFiles Origami SML SMP MPI mozilla tcsh
>Asimov Bear Clarke Donaldson Volleyball Ultimate Cricket emacs C++ X
>Jordan Kay Lackey Martin Stasheff DeepPurple H&C KLF Queen PinkFloyd

Kim Holburn
Network Consultant - Telecommunications Engineering
Research School of Information Sciences and Engineering
Australian National University - Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
     Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)