mystified by mailto address

Simon Fowler simon at himi.org
Fri Nov 1 12:41:13 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 10:48:33AM +1100, Simon Burton wrote:

> Hi all,
> Been trying to contact this guy:
> mailto:overcode+sdlgc at overcode.net
> and have tried all kinds of combinations.
> Is the '+' just a space? I don't think sylpheed
> is handling the space (just dropping the first word).
> Any ideas? He has other mailto addresses but
> they all do this '+' thing:
> http://isengard.overcode.net/~overcode/

The '+' is essentially a hack on top of rfc822 compliant addresses,
originally introduced by sendmail (I think). The idea is that
everything after the '+' is ignored - it's a way to add a comment to
an address, basically, so you can give a bit of extra information on
top of the address. Mostly it gets used for tracking where an
address was made public - I might use simon+clug at himi.org to
indicate it was used with the clug list.

It can be a problem at times, because the receiving mta has to
understand the format; sendmail does, and postfix does (if
configured correctly), but I'm not sure about others . . .

Simon

--
PGP public key Id 0x144A991C, or http://himi.org/stuff/himi.asc
(crappy) Homepage: http://himi.org