Installation advice

Mick Howe mickhowe at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 28 14:44:57 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:17, you wrote:
> I installed Redhat Linux 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12) on my notebook computer about
> 3 months ago from a distribution I received in a "Teach Yourself Linux"
> book. The computer I installed the system on is a Acer Extensa 367T with
> 80mb RAM and a 2 Gig hard drive. This has proved adequate in my initial
> goal of getting started with Linux.
>
> I would like to upgrade to the latest Kernel and possibly upgrade to Redhat
> 7.2. I want to try KDE 2.2.2 and possibly find a good 'visual style'
> development platform.
>
> Where can I find the latest Kernel and what other dependent files will I
> also need to upgrade (X, gcc etc). Is it recommended to Upgrade to Redhat
> 7.2 and where can I get hold of the latest version ? I assume it would be
> too large to download off the net.

Get the latest kernels from www.kernel.org or one of its mirrors.

RH7.2 is 2 cd images at about 680mb'ish each plus the doco image, is that too
much download? I used my brother's optus cable to get it. if you can't do
better I could burn and send you a copy mine. contact me offlist if you need
to do this.

/\/\ick