Offering CD images [was Re: Installation advice]

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at bigpond.com
Thu Mar 28 22:32:37 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 2:44 pm, Mick Howe wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 13:17, you wrote:
> > I installed Redhat Linux 6.1 (kernel 2.2.12) on my notebook computer
> > about 3 months ago from a distribution I received in a "Teach Yourself
> > Linux" book. The computer I installed the system on is a Acer Extensa
> > 367T with 80mb RAM and a 2 Gig hard drive. This has proved adequate in my
> > initial goal of getting started with Linux.
> >
> > I would like to upgrade to the latest Kernel and possibly upgrade to
> > Redhat 7.2. I want to try KDE 2.2.2 and possibly find a good 'visual
> > style' development platform.
> >
> > Where can I find the latest Kernel and what other dependent files will I
> > also need to upgrade (X, gcc etc). Is it recommended to Upgrade to Redhat
> > 7.2 and where can I get hold of the latest version ? I assume it would be
> > too large to download off the net.
>
> Get the latest kernels from www.kernel.org or one of its mirrors.
>
> RH7.2 is 2 cd images at about 680mb'ish each plus the doco image, is that
> too much download? I used my brother's optus cable to get it. if you can't
> do better I could burn and send you a copy mine. contact me offlist if you
> need to do this.
>
> /\/\ick

Could we think about having a list of distribution images that clug members
have 'on offer' and are willing to burn as requested, with a 1:1 or 2:1
replacement policy?  Put up somewhere on the clug website perhaps?

I have RH7.2 (and most other RedHat's since 5.2), as well as SME-5.1.2, and
Gibraltar.  I am willing to burn these for people on a 1:1 CD replacement
basis (although if you'd like to provide an extra CD to say thanks, that
would be nice).

I also thought that providing copies of key distributions to local libraries
is a good idea, although I think some kind of cover and labeling should be
done for public versions (not just hand-written permanent marker).  Anyone
with CD label creation software that works under Linux??

Rasjid.