Colour maps

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com.au
Wed Mar 20 13:12:30 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:

> While we are on the subject, I have been trying to
> get a Solaris app displaying on Xfree86 and while
> it works on both Linux and Windows 2000, colours
> are not always displayed correctly. (white seems
> to show as blue)
>
> I *think* it's because the app is expecting a 24 bpp
> display[1] (Aka S24 framebuffer), but the Linux boxen
> do not have a 24 bpp screen entry and CygWin won't
> do 24 bpp for me either.

It could be that.

It could also be that the Solaris machine has a resources file
specifically for the application.  If you just copy the resources file
across to the Linux box it might start looking the same.

The resources are either in a file in /usr/openwin/lib/app-defaults
or set specifically in a .Xresources or sumpin like that.  If they're
being set with xrdb then you'll see the resources with an "xrdb -query".
If they're in a file it might be named the same as the executable with
a capitalised first letter.

Am I being vague enough? :-)

--
Brett