Ssh forwarded port not contactable by windows

David Price davidmprice at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Mar 13 16:32:40 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:16:23PM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
> The vmware machine is bridged to the network and works fine. This vmware
> machine has a ssh -L port forward happening to my home machine.
>
> The windows machine can telnet the vmware machine, and access the
> webserver running on it, but not the port forwarded port...

I don't know if it will help, but have you tried the -g option to ssh?
By default ssh only binds forwarded ports to the loopback interface
(see "netstat -ltp"), -g causes it to bind to all interfaces,
including whatever the vmware bridge is using (if that's how vmware
works).

> Why? Are there firewalling rules on Redhat 7.1 I should know about? I have
> checked ipchains, and there are no rules defined, and iptables isn't
> installed. Are there any other gotchas I might have missed?

I guess with -g you'd probably want to setup some firewall rules to
stop other people making use of your tunnel.

David