NTV-1000

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 1 10:00:34 EST 2002

> Marcel Welschbillig wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone ever got Linux running on one of these NTV-1000 Internet boxes ??
>
> The hardware is as follows..
>
> 486DX4 100
> 8Mb flash (72 pin SIMM)
> 16Mb DRAM (72 pin SIMM)
> * 10-Base-T ethernet *
> Inbuilt modem
> Serial port
> PS2 ports
> Parallel printer port
> Infra-red remote keyboard
> audio in/out
> composite video in/out
> S-Video in/out
> VGA out
> I can get these boxes for $99AU and if i could run a cut down version of
> linux on them and use it as an internet gateway i would be stoked.
>
> Any info would be great
>
> Marcel

I have one netbooting. It can pull in the kernel etc. but gags at the point
where the bootloader needs to determine how much RAM is available. The netboot
code makes assumptions about what functionality the BIOS supports that just
isn't valid in this case.

I haven't gotten onto working on it for a while. The two options are to
continue hacking on the BIOS and add the missing functions (requires a long
assemble; transfer to EEPROM programmer; erase and reprogram EEPROM; insert
EEPROM into NTV-1000 - type cycle), or to hack on the netboot loader and
hardwire the correct values in (probably a lot simpler - I think).

My strategy is to get Linux running across the network, get the display
into 800 x 600 mode (supported in hardware etc.), run the SVGA version
of the VNC viewer (no X required) and use it as a thin client terminal to
another Linux box located elsewhere in the house, hooked to the TV, with
the IR keyboard. Also, I want to have the MPG123 player running that can
use RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) so that I can get my server to
stream MP3s to the NTV for playing onto my stereo.

I notice that you emphasise the 10 Mbit/sec Ethernet. One issue with the
Ethernet is that NeonTech (the manufacturer) didn't add a MAC address to
the Ethernet hardware - so it comes up as FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF (not good).
My hacked BIOS ROM/Etherboot loaded detects this and allocates a more
reasonable value. The intention here is to get Linux running, then use
a Linux util to reflash the Ethernet controllers serial EEPROM with a
better unique MAC address.

Hopefully I will have time to get it all going Real Soon Now (RSN).

I may be interested in buying one or two more - where are you getting
them from?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.