Open Source GIS

Matthew Hawkins matthew at topic.com.au
Fri Mar 1 16:26:38 EST 2002

On Fri, 01 Mar 2002, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:
>  One way i could think of is to pot everything into a uniform DB schema,
>  and use a broker of sorts to search the DB's and pump data out to
>  whatever apps need to use it... :)

XML is your friend.  Most modern databases support exporting/importing as XML.
I wouldn't bother too much with a broker, just dump the whole shebang
each night and people can pick it up.  A simple method would be to have
each item in its own XML file, and people can just pick & choose which
ones they want (eg, devise their own way of keeping state so they don't
have to grab each file).  If the files are available via HTTP, that
could simply mean doing IMS.

Crude and effective :)

--
Matt