Unplug a mouse and lose it

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Jun 13 18:07:03 EST 2002

Michael James wrote:

> >Simon Haddon <simon at sibern.com.au> explained:
> >As for VNC (Virtual Network Computing) it is a software package that
> >allows you to view/take control of another computers output.  On Linux
> >you can setup a VNC server which is it's own X session.  On windows you
> >can grab the actual screen.  You can find out more about VNC from
> >http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc
>
> Thanks for that, yes a KVM switch would be useful
>  but whether it is worth the cost???
>
> VNC is more interesting but does the opposite of what I want.
>
> I want a remote PC displaying in an X window on my Linux desktop.
> Not to put a windows machine between me and reliable computing.
>
> Since using VMware, running a bare windows system
>  feels like tightrope walking without a safety net.
>
> I want to X a windows machine in hardware
>  with the card discussed earlier on this list.
>
> Imagine a Video card pumping the display out as X windows over ethernet
>  that had link cables to control the keyboard, mouse and reset directly.

Actually, you _do_ want VNC. Simon explained one situation. You want a
different situation. Run the Windoze VNC server on your windows machine
and then take over control of it from your linux machine. We use that
here on all our (small number of) Win2k desktops in the admin. area. When
someone rings up with a problem (frequently), we simply bring up a VNC
session to their desktop and then either "show" them what to do (remotely)
by moving their mouse pointer or doing it for them.

Believe me. Give VNC a try. It will do exactly what you have just
specified. (Doesn't do audio though, so you won't hear the annoying
Windoze alert noises).

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.