Unplug a mouse and lose it

Damien Elmes clug at repose.cx
Thu Jun 13 19:59:20 EST 2002

Bob Edwards <Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au> writes:

> Actually, you _do_ want VNC. Simon explained one situation. You want a
> different situation. Run the Windoze VNC server on your windows machine
> and then take over control of it from your linux machine. We use that
> here on all our (small number of) Win2k desktops in the admin. area. When
> someone rings up with a problem (frequently), we simply bring up a VNC
> session to their desktop and then either "show" them what to do (remotely)
> by moving their mouse pointer or doing it for them.
>
> Believe me. Give VNC a try. It will do exactly what you have just
> specified. (Doesn't do audio though, so you won't hear the annoying
> Windoze alert noises).

I seem to recall someone mentioned in the past that they use VNC to make their
desktop "mobile". Was this you, Bob? The issue I've found is that I don't want
to have to run a separate VNC X server and then view the apps always through a
VNC connection, even if they're running on the local machine.

.. So basically, I'm wondering if there's something analogous to the win32 VNC
server for linux?

--
Damien Elmes