C books (was "K&R C book wanted")

James Macnicol jamesm at ee.adfa.edu.au
Sun Jul 28 15:47:37 EST 2002

> Anyone have a copy of Kernighan & Ritchie C (2nd ed) they are willing to part with?
>
> The CoOp lists it for $90 (members' price).
> Make an offer, I'm willing to negotiate...
>
> I need it for COMP2310. (and as a general essential reference)

  A friend of mine is trying to learn 'C', primarily for the work he
is doing at the moment.  We went looking around bookshops in the city
late last week.  I was rather shocked to see how little was available
for books that just discussed 'C'.  There are plenty of books about C#
and C++ but I think we only saw five or six pure 'C' titles all up
(and no copies of K&R at all).

  The guy at the Co-op said that there were no (ANU) courses this
semester that required K&R which is why they didn't have any in stock,
so I'm a little surprised you say you need it.  I assume it isn't an
essential text.

  If someone has another second hand copy for a reasonable price I
think my friend might buy it so you can drop me a line.  He is also
looking for something that is better for beginners.  Does anyone have
any recommendations?  The "Learn C in 21 Days" book looked okay at a
glance and there was a Deitel & Deitel book which was half 'C' and
half C++/Java which was shrink-wrapped so it wasn't possible to flick
through it.  For myself, I would also be interested in any good titles
that cover what's new in C99 without all the basic stuff, if such a
book exists.

James