Webone blocking port 25??

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Fri Jul 26 10:49:06 EST 2002

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 10:03:44AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:

> > Why doesn't buying a computer require a license so dumb people can't get
> > them?
>
> For the same reason that the standard for motor vehicle licence testing
> is so low: It's not politically feasible to change it at the moment. One
> day it may change (probably in Microsoft's favour, not ours), but for
> the moment we're stuck with having to deal with morons on the Internet.

   Can you imagine creating a Clue-Required big VPN over the
old infested IPv4 Internet?  Fully public-keyed, no one gets in without
three recognized references, and enough addresses for everyone?  Nodes
on the ClueNet would be required to drop all IPv4 packets at kernel level.
Granted, there'd be a lot less commercial traffic (no nytimes.com, ..., but
also no ICANN).  References could be revoked if you failed and abused the
network, and poof - you're gone, probably never to return.
   None of the current VPN software looks like it would scale up to this at
present, and quite a few extensions would be needed to support the
public-key web-of-trust/quorum side of it.  With Telecoms starting to go
bust, there might be some dark fiber available for native ClueNet traffic
some day.
   Since every node or private net would be keyed, it would also be possible
to implement a microcharging system, and key it to traffic you can control
(your outgoing).  To pay your incoming, a server could require the
initialization packet to include a small signed check for a few 100K of data
(something reasonably small), and renewed with ACKS as you receive data.

   I suppose this might be a significantly larger project the IPv6 and IPSEC
were, since it'd have to have some major redesign work to get it all going,
and be perfect (don't want imperfection where money is changing hands..)