Webone blocking port 25??

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Fri Jul 26 10:03:44 EST 2002

Matthew Hawkins <matt at mh.dropbear.id.au> wrote:
> I really REALLY loathe the way society now insists that people are not
> responsible for their own actions.

Maybe one day people will be responsible for the damage they cause by
connecting a machine that they don't know how to operate to the
Internet. Until that day comes, it's up to the more responsible people
to help stop them causing damage in the first place.

Playing the blame game after the fact doesn't help anyone, especially
when no-one ends up liable anyway.

> They're forced to behave this way because society in general have got
> lax, and many people subscribe to the athiest religion where the only
> thing that matters in the world is self.  So if you sneeze on your hand
> then pick up a bread roll and give it to someone, it becomes their
> problem.  And this is socially acceptible.

Don't bring religion into this. Religion has very little to do with
selfishness. Some religions expand selfishness into "Us" and "Them" (and
then justify atrocities perpetrated by "Us" against "Them") instead of
"Me" and "Everyone else", but religon and selfishness are certainly not
mutually exclusive.

We can carry on the "Religion and Morality" debate in a different forum
if you wish.

> The regulations are nothing more than a band-aid patch to the problem
> that people aren't considerate of others.

Indeed this is true, but the problem will *never* go away. There will
*always* be selfish and inconsiderate people, and sometimes regulations
and training can be used to change their behaviour, if not their attitude.

> Why doesn't buying a computer require a license so dumb people can't get
> them?

For the same reason that the standard for motor vehicle licence testing
is so low: It's not politically feasible to change it at the moment. One
day it may change (probably in Microsoft's favour, not ours), but for
the moment we're stuck with having to deal with morons on the Internet.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at topic.com.au
Internet Engineer   |  jabber:sam at jabber.topic.com.au
tSA Consulting      |  http://www.topic.com.au/