Automatically loading modules with Red Hat 7.1

Andrew Pollock andrew at andrew.net.au
Tue Jan 15 10:41:00 EST 2002

Alas my employer is pro Red Hat and I'm more familiar with Debian than Red
Hat.

I'm currently stumped as to how to do the equivalent of /etc/modules in Red Hat.
I want to make the system automatically load a module on bootup.

In this particular case, it's the module for my SCSI card. kudzu picked it up
and added

alias scsi_hostadapter initio

to my /etc/modules.conf, but this doesn't actually load the module on bootup,
which is what I want.

I've rummaged through all the startup files and can't really see any reference
to anything that looks like it does what I want, but I can't believe I have to
modprobe the sucker every time, or otherwise rely on the kernel to modprobe it
for me when I happen to try and access something.

Any suggestions?

Andrew