Need a new programming language

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Feb 7 23:35:04 EST 2002

On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 10:15 , Rick Whittle wrote:

> asm.
> preferably s/360 asm

There are a couple of small portability problems with that language.

Besides, I don't know of any means for readily running asm as a script
language, since it is intended to run on the bare metal.

There have been some attempts to compile Java bytecode to native code,
but from what I've read, these attempts have usually resulted in
something that is not much faster than JIT-optimised Java.  The main
problem being the fact that the "stuff" that is Java in bytecode is
responsible for lots of run-time checking (e.g.:
http://gcc.gnu.org/java/faq.html#5_3).

Just my two bits* worth.
Alex
(* here I'm not talking about binary, either)