Need a new programming language

Rick Whittle rick_Whittle at bigfoot.com
Sat Feb 9 14:43:04 EST 2002

Alex Satrapa wrote:

> On Thursday, February 7, 2002, at 10:15 , Rick Whittle wrote:
>
> > asm.
> > preferably s/360 asm
>
> There are a couple of small portability problems with that language

two words
Job and Security

> Besides, I don't know of any means for readily running asm as a script

> language, since it is intended to run on the bare metal.

system escapes under ReXX.?

but in reality I'm a horses for courses advocate.
I don't believe there is or ever will be a best language for everything.

like there will never be a best OS for everything.

if for no other reason than human memory styles vary.

a usefull codesmith has a number of languages of choice, and picks the
one(s) for the app.

want to write an OS? - probably C
jeez, I've even seen a value in COBOL. (and it wasn't someone elses job
security - more a case of why reinvent the wheel)

want to write a back door to a bitty box? VB every time.

so what is Paul writing that C/C++ and PERL feel not appropriate to his
style?

> There have been some attempts to compile Java bytecode to native code,
> but from what I've read, these attempts have usually resulted in
> something that is not much faster than JIT-optimised Java.  The main
> problem being the fact that the "stuff" that is Java in bytecode is
> responsible for lots of run-time checking (e.g.:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/java/faq.html#5_3).
>
> Just my two bits* worth.
> Alex
> (* here I'm not talking about binary, either)

sorry, I'd have to know how many tracks you'd like in that, this brain's
not SMS managed. :P

rick MVS GIT

Guru In Training - my *short term* plan has a 15 year outlook.