[H-CHAT] compiling kernels - built in v module

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Feb 2 16:19:51 EST 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Mick Howe wrote:

> [ Humbug *Chat* list.                                            ]
>
> I'm insterested I'm peoples opinions regarding what to build in to the kernel
> and what to make into modules
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.1 on a Celeron 533, 640MB ram, 44x IDE CDROM, 2x write/
> 8x read IDE CDR, with two 4.3 SCSI HDDs, HP SureStor T4 SCSI tape, S3 virge
> agp video, realtek 8139 nic, Ensonique 1371 sound, Plustek OP600p scanner.
>
> what do you do and why?

Everything that is normally in the box, I build into the kernel.  So this
includes their regular ethernet drivers, various filesystems (root FS need
to be in the kernel of course).  I only use modules if something
unexpected needs to be loaded or setup (new usb device for example).
Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert at timetraveller.org  ICQ: 104781119
   blake: up 23 days, 13:44,  2 users,  load average: 1.11, 1.03, 0.95