Determining far IP address of NAT/ROUTER

Paul Bryan pa_bryan at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 12:29:34 EST 2002

On Wednesday 18 December 2002 10:15, Aaron Smith - Sun Microsystems -
Canberra wrote:
> ddclient can get the outside-world side IP address from any of: a local
> network interface (like ppp0), web based IP detection, Watchguard's SOHO
> router, Netopia's R910 router, SMC's Barricade broadband router,
> Netgear's RT3xx router, Linksys' broadband routers, MaxGate's UGATE-3x00
> routers, ELSA's LANCOM DSL/10 routers, Cisco's 2610, 3com 3c886a 56k Lan
> Modem, SOHOWare BroadGuard NBG800, and almost every other router with
> user configurable FW definitions.
>
> Unfourunately, querying most of the above hardware does require the
> admin password to be defined in the ddclient config file.

I could be mistaken, but don't some dynamic dns have an option not to get any
local ip address? This way the remote host uses the ip address that you
connected with, which should be your external ip.

If not, might be a worthwhile addition, although that would require
modifications to both the client and server.

Paul.