Mail client follow-up

jeremy at itassist.net.au jeremy at itassist.net.au
Thu Sep 13 10:41:32 EST 2001

>> At this point in time, I'd say yes.  BTW have you all heard of the
>> SSSCA.  It would make for some interesting standards in America.
>> Slightly overshadow by some recent events, but the analysis is here:
>>
>> http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=8163
>>

> It will be a very interesting time if this legislation passes.  This
> is the most facist piece of legislation I have ever seen.  eg, I cant
> see any way something like a compiler could ever comply with this,
> unless it was stripped to the point of being almost useless.  It isn't
> directly stated, but would an implication of this be hardware
> manufacturers be forced to implement measures to prevent ANY
> unauthorized code at all? eg with asymmetric crypto built into the
> executable format or something.

We beat the hell out of the topic at PM if you're interested:

http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=111642

> Fortunately most of it is obviously unenforcable (and of course only
> in America!) but it would appear to make pretty much all general
> purpose computers and software illegal.

And yet, someone put their name on this bill.  Assuming it's not a joke
- well, it is a joke anyway - some twit actually suspended his thinking
or his morals and backed the bill.

Thankfully our lawmakers aren't quite this stupid.  I guess we shouldn't
be too complacent - we imitate America in every other way.

Is there anyone here who actually bothers to keep an eye on what federal
parliment is doing?  I occaisionally cast an eye over the goings on for
the local assembly (they have online hansard, yay!), but I'd never be
aware of anything like this happening in federal parliment.

--
I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,