Mail client follow-up

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Sep 13 13:19:11 EST 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:41:32AM +1000, jeremy at itassist.net.au wrote:
> Thankfully our lawmakers aren't quite this stupid.  I guess we shouldn't
> be too complacent - we imitate America in every other way.

Well, we don't don't generally have large companies backing representatives
in parliment to push through various bills. I do think that makes a
difference.

> Is there anyone here who actually bothers to keep an eye on what federal
> parliment is doing?  I occaisionally cast an eye over the goings on for
> the local assembly (they have online hansard, yay!), but I'd never be
> aware of anything like this happening in federal parliment.

Well, I've looked on aph.gov.au and that's always heaping going on that it's
hard to keep track of everything. Maybe there is a mailing list where new
bills are posted or something.

Incidentally, the law people are claiming is the australian version of the
DMCA is not as bad. It talks about anti-circumvention stuff but
circumvention for the purposes of allowing blind people to read it is enough
defense (from my reading anyway). And most importantly, it doesn't make it a
criminal offence.

All from my reading, I may be wrong there...

Anyone know of ways to keep up with this kind of thing?
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at svana.org>
http://svana.org/kleptog/