End of year CLUG BBQ

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Dec 19 21:32:18 EST 2001

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Patrick Cole wrote:

> Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:31:57PM +1100, Michael Still wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Simon Cousins wrote:
> >
> > > Plus we've got DSL bridged to 802.11b, so feel free to bring your
> > > wireless notebooks too if you like.
> >
> > If any of you folk with spare 802.11b cards would like to lend me one for
> > the night that would be very cool (I'm think of you David!). I'm still
> > trying to convince myself that I can justify spending $700+ for the
> > convenience of web surfing in front of the TV...
>
> Buy them from ebay in the US... I picked up two silver lucent pcmcia
> cards with isa adapters and pigtail antenna adapters for $450.. One
> runs the inet gateway in ad-hoc mode. You should probably look at
> the prism2 cards as they support the host AP mode.. not that it makes
> that much of a different whether you bridge or not. I also picked up
> 3 x cisco aironet 340 cards for $500 or so.

www.ubid.com has them regularly for $70 US -- huge lots as well (100 or
more cards, so the price is pretty stable. The only catch is that you need
a US shipping address (which I can arrange through work), and a credit
card with a US billing address -- which I had troubles sorting out.

Perhaps if someone out there knows someone in the states who would be
willing to be billed for the things (and then reimbursed), we could
arrange a CLUG lot?

Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com)