End of year CLUG BBQ

Patrick Cole z at amused.net
Tue Dec 18 10:14:43 EST 2001

Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 02:31:57PM +1100, Michael Still wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Simon Cousins wrote:
>
> > Plus we've got DSL bridged to 802.11b, so feel free to bring your
> > wireless notebooks too if you like.
>
> If any of you folk with spare 802.11b cards would like to lend me one for
> the night that would be very cool (I'm think of you David!). I'm still
> trying to convince myself that I can justify spending $700+ for the
> convenience of web surfing in front of the TV...

Buy them from ebay in the US... I picked up two silver lucent pcmcia
cards with isa adapters and pigtail antenna adapters for $450.. One
runs the inet gateway in ad-hoc mode. You should probably look at
the prism2 cards as they support the host AP mode.. not that it makes
that much of a different whether you bridge or not. I also picked up
3 x cisco aironet 340 cards for $500 or so.

And btw, it's worth it... (Coming to you now from the couch :)

Pat

--
Patrick Cole - Debian Developer <ltd at debian.org>
             - John Curtin, ANU <Patrick.Cole at anu.edu.au>