Information on dropbear.id.au and id.au domain

Drake Diedrich dld at coyote.com.au
Sun Dec 2 13:17:22 EST 2001

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 12:27:35PM +1100, Peter Foley wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know of any other sites that are providing a similar service to
> dropbear.id.au and id.au domain?
>
> Does anyone know of any other domains that provide a similar service? or
> information on how good the service is at dropbear.id.au?  Yes I know that I
> could go and register my own top level domain but I guess I am just to lazy
> to worry about it =p.

   pobox.com was the original "permancy" service.  I think they charged $100
USD for lifetime email forwarding ~10 years ago, and had other services such
as DNS.  It's now $15 USD annually, but they're still in business.

   Some of the dynamic DNS services also offer mail/web/static DNS/etc
services to people who pay/pay more.  Still quite reasonable compared to
paying for your own domain.  I used dyndns.org briefly (and liked them) -
they offer basic services free, and extra services (like static DNS domain
delegation, web redirection) to contributors.  contributions are small
(onetime - minimum $10, $30 for full static service).
   dyndns.com is a similar, but completely different group (company
actually).