GPL'd XServer for Windows

Rasjid rasjidw at bigpond.com
Sun Aug 26 18:50:31 EST 2001

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> Rasjid wrote:
> >
> > Anyone wanting to have a look at a little project of mine, please visit
> > http://www.users.bigpond.com/rasjidw/
>
> I am playing with it for a little while now, and mostly everything is
> just fine.
>
> However, there is one strange thing. When it comes up, it starts my
> xterm's (as my .xinitrc issues) but then pops up an 'xlogin' screen
> that says "This is an unsecure session" asking for a Login/Password.
> If I enter these then the session is terminated and a new xdm login
> screen comes up. If I minimse the xlogin and forget about it then I
> can use the session just fine.
>
> Whare am I misconfigured?

I have not seen this before.  (Although the whole thing is somewhat new
to me too.  I just had an idea and wanted to see if I could get it to
work.)  Do you have another machine running Linux that you can run in
console mode and do a /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query <XDMhostIP> on to narrow
down whether it is an XDM configuration issue or a problem with the
Cygwin-XFree setup?

> And while I have this audience, how can my .xinitrc identify where I
> connect from? I want a different startus setup. Is there some naming
> rule (.xinitrc-0 etc.?) or should I simply interrogate $DISPLAY?
>
> --
> Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>

My guess would be check the $DISPLAY (at least that is what I would do)
but more knowledgable people my suggest something else.  ;-)

Rasjid.