GPL'd XServer for Windows

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sun Aug 26 20:10:50 EST 2001

Rasjid wrote:
> > However, there is one strange thing. When it comes up, it starts my
> > xterm's (as my .xinitrc issues) but then pops up an 'xlogin' screen
> > that says "This is an unsecure session" asking for a Login/Password.
> > If I enter these then the session is terminated and a new xdm login
> > screen comes up. If I minimse the xlogin and forget about it then I
> > can use the session just fine.
>
> I have not seen this before.  (Although the whole thing is somewhat new
> to me too.  I just had an idea and wanted to see if I could get it to
> work.)  Do you have another machine running Linux that you can run in
> console mode and do a /usr/X11R6/bin/X -query <XDMhostIP> on to narrow
> down whether it is an XDM configuration issue or a problem with the
> Cygwin-XFree setup?

The other Linux machine here does not have X installed. Nevertheless,
Today I had this software installed on a firend's W2K machine, talking
to RH7.1. Once xdm was set up everything worked fine, and the xlogin
screen never showed up. I am rather sure that my problem is related
to one of the .xinitrc programs, I will now check it now...vi..test...
vi...test...vi...test...buggers!

So I disabled most of my .xinitrc and then re-enabled it progressively.
This strategy seems to have scared the gremlins away since at the end
I had it all enabled and no xlogin in sight. I will have to attribute
this one to the POTM...

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.anu.edu.au/eyal/>