Protocol Encapsulation

Sam Couter sam at topic.com.au
Sun Aug 5 16:38:42 EST 2001

Mark Hummel <mhummel at pcug.org.au> wrote:

> For example, consider telnet. I don't simply want to add the service in
> inetd.conf - I want to force users to go via ssh. Ssh port forwarding
> doesn't seem to do the trick, because the port I forward to has to be
> open,  does it not?
>
> And, if the port has to be open, users can connect to the port directly.
>
> Any advice?

I think you need to give a little more detail about exactly what you're
trying to do. Start with things like where you think each end of the
encapsulation should be relative to where your server is and where your
clients are.

If you just want to force people to use ssh instead of telnet, then just
disable telnet and enable ssh.
--
Sam Couter          |   Internet Engineer   |   http://www.topic.com.au/
sam at topic.com.au    |   tSA Consulting      |