Protocol Encapsulation

Mark Hummel mhummel at pcug.org.au
Mon Aug 6 17:39:19 EST 2001

On Sun, 5 Aug 2001, Sam Couter wrote:

> Mark Hummel <mhummel at pcug.org.au> wrote:
>
> I think you need to give a little more detail about exactly what you're
> trying to do. Start with things like where you think each end of the
> encapsulation should be relative to where your server is and where your
> clients are.

I thought I would have to give more detail. Basically, there are three
machines. One of these machines will be the "server". The other two
machines (all machines are on a private network) will be clients. I wanted
all services to have a single wrapper. This wrapper would enforce things
like only allowing those two clients access to the services on the server.

So, its not a matter for people "outside" to be able to tunnel
 through to machines on the private network - its a matter of enforcing
those clients on the inside to use a single interface.

> If you just want to force people to use ssh instead of telnet, then just
> disable telnet and enable ssh.

It's not just telnet and X unfortunately.

Thanks,

Mark.