Login problems for some users

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 26 09:38:59 EST 2002

John Aasen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a mixed Solaris/linux environment which basically has run fine for
> over a year. But we have now got a problem with some new users. They are
> added to the nis+ tables with nisaddcred the same way as before, but they are
> unable to login on a Linux machine (RedHat 7.3 nisplus client). They login
> fine on Solaris machines.
>
> /var/log/secure says authentication failure.
> I've tried nisping -f on the Linux machines without any help.
> I've tried keylogout / keylogin on a Linux machine, but keylogin fails with
> the message:
> Can't find unix.<pid>@<domainnames>'s secret key.
>
> Anyone got an idea on how to solve this problem?
>
> John

I don't think that I have seen a response to this one yet.

So, just to confirm, these users can log onto Solaris NIS+ clients but not
onto _any_ Linux NIS+, or only a few? Can anyone else log onto the suspect
Linux NIS+ clients? What happens if you run "nisdefaults" on these clients?

Where you say "Can't find unix.<pid>@<domainnames>'s secret key", should that
pid really be the users uid? Is it correct?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.