very chatty clients sent 28June2002

Scott Croft secroft at micron.com
Thu Oct 31 11:32:13 EST 2002

I had responded to Tom directly with a question as to whether they were
running compat mode on the NIS+ server. His response back was yes.
Running in compat mode tends to put a lot more traffic over the network.
As you stated, running nscd also helps, but there is a drawback to that
as when you have issues with authentication and possible cache data
corruption.

We have A LOT of clients running on our network, AIX, Solaris and Linux
with very little chatter except when needed. I ran snoop on the master
for over an hour and specifically tracked a linux NIS+ system that is
hit very heavily by end users. I had little to no traffic on the master.
On the replica that I know it would hit, there was increased traffic
compared to the master, but no more than the Solaris hosts. We are
running Rh 7.2 with the latest patches and not in compat mode, nor is
compat set on the RH system as some of the documentation suggests.

Scott