very chatty clients sent 28June2002

Robert Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 31 10:52:29 EST 2002

I think that, on the whole, the Linux nisplus code is a little "chattier" than
the Solaris implementation.

I have just performed a couple of simple tests (using tcpdump) on some Linux
nisplus clients, both with the Name Server Cache Daemon (nscd) running and
without. nscd seems to make a little bit of an improvement for, eg., "ls -l"
where the UID/GID needs to be looked up from the nisplus maps.

Just logging into a RH8.0 client as a normal user with home directory mounted
from another NFS server (not the NIS+ server) and with nscd running, resulted
in 659 packets to and from the NIS+ server. Subsequenty doing an "ls -l"
resulted in only another 32 packets.

Note that our NIS+ server is only a NIS+ server - it doesn't really do
anything else (it is a Sun Netra X1 running Solaris 8) - so although there is
a relatively large number of NIS+ packets flowing to and from it - this
doesn't seems to affect the performance of our network at all.

We have about 43 Linux and 2 Solaris nisplus clients in our network.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.