how to setup a NIS+ server on a linux box

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Fri Feb 22 18:48:35 EST 2002

> Nguyen Truong Sinh wrote:
>
> I want to setup a NIS+ server on linux box (redhat 7.2), what software I
> need and how to do that

As far as I know, there is no Linux implementation of the NIS+ server.
The NIS+ client code works well with a Solaris server. You can run
the Solaris server on an Intel box (I haven't done this). There is
also, apparently, a NIS+ server implementation available for FreeBSD,
again, I haven't used this.

If you aren't working in a Solaris environment, I advise you to steer
clear of NIS+. Authenticated LDAP, Kerberos and other mechanisms have
much better support across multiple platforms.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.