how to setup a NIS+ server on a linux box

David Nicol nicold at umkc.edu
Tue Feb 26 09:09:25 EST 2002

Bob Edwards wrote:

> > Nguyen Truong Sinh wrote:
> >
> > I want to setup a NIS+ server on linux box (redhat 7.2), what software I
> > need and how to do that
>
> As far as I know, there is no Linux implementation of the NIS+ server.
> The NIS+ client code works well with a Solaris server. You can run
> the Solaris server on an Intel box (I haven't done this). There is
> also, apparently, a NIS+ server implementation available for FreeBSD,
> again, I haven't used this.
>
> If you aren't working in a Solaris environment, I advise you to steer
> clear of NIS+. Authenticated LDAP, Kerberos and other mechanisms have
> much better support across multiple platforms.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob Edwards.

What about Thorsten Kukuk?

on http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/ he promises as follows:

http://www.linux-nis.org

Look at my Linux NIS/NIS+ pages on www.linux-nis.org, there you will find
everything you need to turn your Linux box into a NIS server and NIS or NIS+ client.

well, thats a NIS server ... is that close enough?

--
           David L Nicol, humble system administrator (816) 235 1187
              "Reconciliation work is both harder and less rewarding