NIS+ slowdown when servers are not reachable

Robert Greimel greimel at ing.iac.es
Wed Sep 26 21:48:32 EST 2001

Hi,

I have nis+ installed on Redhat 7.1 . Things are (mostly) working,
but when one of the nis+ (replica) servers is down then we are
experiencing considerable slowdown on the Linux boxes.

For example, niscat passwd.org_dir returns immediately when all servers are
up. When one server is down it takes 4 seconds to respond. When two
servers are down it takes 8 seconds to respond, etc...

This looks like an implementation problem.

Also, we have preferred NIS+ servers set for the Linux computers but it looks
to me that this information is not being used ? Is this correct ?
When will this be implemented ?

Greetings

Robert Greimel