[linux-cifs-client] Kerberos required?.

Jeff Layton jlayton at samba.org
Wed Mar 10 04:37:18 MST 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:27:50 +0100
Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for taking care, but I've installed MIT krb already from
> source. It's generally a good idea to have that installed, do I did.

Yep, doesn't hurt. The gentoo guys also specifically requested it as
well and their use case for it was actually valid.

> By the way, I was looking for the cifsdinotify process, not finding
> it. I read somewhere that inotify for cifs
> has been disabled. Too unstable/unreliable. Ok, but are there plans to
> enable it again??

There was a cifsdnotify kernel thread at one point that never actually
had anything to do with dnotify/inotify. All it actually did was to
periodically wake up any process waiting for a response. It was removed
because it wasn't needed once we put tasks to sleep properly.

By inotify support, I assume you want to be able to set a "watch" on a
file on the server and have a process be notified when it changes
there? If so, then no I don't believe anyone is working on that.

The notification subsystem doesn't currently call down into the
filesystem when a watch is set, so it means a bit of work to add that
support in the generic VFS and then to do the relevant coding in
CIFS to make it actually work.

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>