[linux-cifs-client] Kerberos required?.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:39:29 MST 2010

2010/3/10 Jeff Layton <jlayton at samba.org>:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:27:50 +0100
> Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for taking care, but I've installed MIT krb already from
>> source. It's generally a good idea to have that installed, do I did.
>>

> Yep, doesn't hurt. The gentoo guys also specifically requested it as
> well and their use case for it was actually valid.
>
>> By the way, I was looking for the cifsdinotify process, not finding
>> it. I read somewhere that inotify for cifs
>> has been disabled. Too unstable/unreliable. Ok, but are there plans to
>> enable it again??
>>

> There was a cifsdnotify kernel thread at one point that never actually
> had anything to do with dnotify/inotify. All it actually did was to
> periodically wake up any process waiting for a response. It was removed
> because it wasn't needed once we put tasks to sleep properly.
>
> By inotify support, I assume you want to be able to set a "watch" on a
> file on the server and have a process be notified when it changes
> there? If so, then no I don't believe anyone is working on that.
>
> The notification subsystem doesn't currently call down into the
> filesystem when a watch is set, so it means a bit of work to add that
> support in the generic VFS and then to do the relevant coding in
> CIFS to make it actually work.

Well, I'm just curious. I'm looking into the poll/select code in
respect to FUSE,
I want my fuse fs to support poll/select and inotify.

There have been various articles/activities on this issue, like:

http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/lk/lk-12.html

Now busy and reading.

Stef Bon