[linux-cifs-client] cifs not authenticating, causing a DOS to samba with security=share

Santiago Garcia Mantinan cifs at manty.net
Fri May 21 11:48:32 GMT 2004

Hi!

I was having trouble getting cifs to authenticate against my samba 3.0.2a,
after some investigation I found out that if I set security=user instead of
security=share it would work ok.

The client is the one in Linux 2.6.6, the server is the Samba in Debian
unstable, the share I was trying to mount was not public and only user stb
had access to it in any of the two security modes.

I have done a capture of the packages and then compared a failing
security=share and a working security=user sessions using ethereal, these
are the differences I have found, I have tried to make a table with 4
colums, the first one would be the packet type, then the field of the packet
in which I apreciated a difference and then the contents of this field for
both sessions.

Packet type:				Field:		security user:	security share:
-Negociate protocol request
-Negociate protocol response			3		2
-Session Setup AndX Request,	ANSI pass len	24		1
   User: WORKGROUP\stb		Unicode " "	24		0
				ANSI pass	24 bytes	0x00
				Unicode pass	24 bytes	not sent
				Native LAN Man  Samba		Samba 3.0.2a-Deb
-Session Setup AndX Response	Action		0		1
-Tree Connect AndX Request	Pass len	1		24
				Password	0x00		24 bytes
-Tree Connext AndX Response
-Negotiate Protocol Request
-Negotiate Protocol Response	Security Mode	3		2
-Session Setup AndX Request,	This time both sent same length in passwords
   User: \stb			0 for ansi and 24 for unicode. Similar package.
-Session Setup AndX Response	Action		0		1
-Tree Connect AndX Request	This time both sent pass length 1 with pass=0x00
-Tree Connect AndX Response			OK		Error
							STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

After getting the error, the cifs client that is working against the samba
in security=share mode, starts to send packages continuously to the samba
server causing a DOS to it.

I don't know what else I can add, if I can do anything to get this stuff
solved, testing, gathering more info, ... just tell me.

Regards...
--
Manty/BestiaTester -> http://manty.net