[linux-cifs-client] cifs mounted home directory problems

Steven French sfrench at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 6 23:34:49 GMT 2004

Thanks for the info - we are getting closer.

> This one is from Psi's startup. My eyes don't
>catch anything suspicious from this one.

My eyes did catch something though :) in partciular use of a relatively
less tested and
Linux specific fcntl (dnotify).  Thanks, now if I only knew something
about running your app or
had something a bit smaller to try ... I had one previous report that
dir_notify was broken ever since a kernel VFS change - in particular the
one to remove the big
fcntl vfs hook used by nfs and cifs (and pulled out the calls to
generic_fcntl
call and replace it with the specific dnotify call) which caused a
different (and incorrect) default
error message to be returned (I think - not certain, just a theory at this
point) by cifs code.

 fs/cifs/fcntl.c: CIFS VFS: in cifs_dir_notify as Xid: 13724 with uid:
1001
 fs/cifs/fcntl.c: cifs dir notify on file \.gnupg
 fs/cifs/transport.c: For smb_command 162
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb of length 100
 fs/cifs/connect.c: Peek length rcvd: 0x24 beginning 0x6b)
 fs/cifs/connect.c:  Mid 0x1aea matched - waking up
 fs/cifs/cifssmb.c: In CIFSSMBNotify for file handle 9096
 fs/cifs/transport.c: For smb_command 160
 fs/cifs/transport.c: Sending smb of length 81

I did try to run the testcase I found for dnotify via google but that
would not run (not even run to local filesystems, much less cifs or nfs)
on
current Linux.

So, I think we will find a fairly obvious functional bug in
cifs_dir_notify - if someone has a 20 to 40 line dnotify test ie one that
works locally :)
that would be a huge help.

Steve French
Senior Software Engineer
Linux Technology Center - IBM Austin
phone: 512-838-2294
email: sfrench at-sign us dot ibm dot com