[linux-cifs-client] cifs mounted home directory problems

Hannes Kinnari hannes.kinnari at uwasa.fi
Mon Dec 6 23:20:07 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 15:43 -0600, Steven French wrote:

> > Should chmod work in a normal way over cifs? If I chmod 755 a file,
> > it only gives 700 permissions.
>
> You do have the mask on the server set via smb.conf to 0700 (0600 for
> create) - seems plausible that you would end up with 0700 on the
> server after chmod from the cifs client.

Alright, good. I was thinking that maybe those settings on the
serverside define only the default values on which files are created
(like umask) - but not limit the chmod command. But that's fine then,
everything is in order.

>  If we could narrow it down more we could turn on debugging (echo 1
> > /proc/fs/cifs/cifsFYI) and dump dmesg and make a better guess as to
> whether it really is hitting the byte rang locking code

Alright, I tried to catch some dmesg dumps with the debugging turned on.
Since I'm not sure if it's a good idea to post them as attachments to
the list, I put them in my webspace:

1) http://www.uwasa.fi/~i80766/evo1.txt

This is from evolution startup, with the error :

"i/o error, not a directory"

(continues on evo2.txt, if something seems to be missing..)
Seems to me, this might be the culprit: NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_COLLISION

2) http://www.uwasa.fi/~i80766/evo3.txt

This is when I try to move a mail from imap folder to the local folder,
and end up with:

"Cannot apped to mailbox, permission denied"

Here I think this is the problem: NT_STATUS_FILE_LOCK_CONFLICT

3) http://www.uwasa.fi/~i80766/psi1.txt

This one is from Psi's startup. My eyes don't catch anything suspicious
from this one.

Hope these help :)