[jcifs] Hey, I Need a help in deploying ipv6 address in jcifs

Christopher R. Hertel crh at samba.org
Sun Jan 11 20:55:32 MST 2015

On 01/11/2015 09:44 PM, Michael B Allen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 3:47 AM, madhur chaini <madhurchaini at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As internet is growing fast.Now time has come to support ipv6 address
>> too.So,kindly give a patch for supporting this in your jcifs.Its very urgent
>> and it is the only jar available for supporting SMB.
>> Do let me know when you people are going to deploy this changes??
>
> Hi Madhur,
>
> Sorry but IPv6 is not a high priority. JCIFS is an IntrAnet tool so
> it's just not that common to see IPv6 on an IntrAnet. IPv6 hasn't even
> caught on on the IntErnet yet. So it's just not high on the list of
> things TODO. It's definitely a "2.0" sort of feature. And
> unfortunately it's not a trivial modification. I think there is some
> code that thinks addresses are dot-quat notation.

The NBT transport layer, which is defined in RFC1001/RFC1002, requires IPv4.
 That's one reason (of many) that NBT is being deprecated.

There is nothing inherent in SMB itself that requires IPv4 or v6, so it
would be a case of disentangling any bits of jCIFS that assume IPv4.

Madhur:  Are you a coder?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org