[jcifs] idle sessions on netapp filer

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:20:14 MST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:57 AM, Volker Müller
<volker.mueller at xsystem.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we use JCIFS to list, up- and download files on NetApp-filers.
> There are many users connecting to a number of shares located on different
> filers. Each user connects to only one share.
> The actions are running in own threads.
>
> Under some circumstands we notice idle sessions on the filer not being
> cleaned up after jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout. This sessions will never
>  cleaned up. We found out that uploads forces the problem.
>
> I wrote a testclient to isolate the problem.
> This client starts some lists, downloads and uploads with random delay.
> Lists and downloads seem not to enforce this problem, only uploads. When we
> start round about 10 uploads, the problem occurs. Not in every case but more
> often the more uploads are running.
>
> In the management console of the filer are a lot of open files, not only
> uploads but even downloads. They remain even after the testclient will be
> terminated. They must be killed manually on the filer.
>
> Has anyone an idea what happened and how to prevent from this problem?
>
> @Mike:I will send you two network dumps and screenshots from the management
> console

Hi Volker,

I don't see anything unusual in these captures. The server is RST-ing
the connection in the middle of the transfer so there's not much JCIFS
can do about that. My guess is that NetApp is just not handling a lot
of current activity well.

Java Active Directory Integration