[jcifs] idle sessions on netapp filer

Volker Müller volker.mueller at xsystem.de
Fri Feb 17 01:57:38 MST 2012

Hi all,

we use JCIFS to list, up- and download files on NetApp-filers.
There are many users connecting to a number of shares located on
different filers. Each user connects to only one share.
The actions are running in own threads.

Under some circumstands we notice idle sessions on the filer not being
cleaned up after jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout. This sessions will never
cleaned up. We found out that uploads forces the problem.

I wrote a testclient to isolate the problem.
This client starts some lists, downloads and uploads with random delay.
Lists and downloads seem not to enforce this problem, only uploads. When
we start round about 10 uploads, the problem occurs. Not in every case
but more often the more uploads are running.

In the management console of the filer are a lot of open files, not only
uploads but even downloads. They remain even after the testclient will
be terminated. They must be killed manually on the filer.

Has anyone an idea what happened and how to prevent from this problem?

@Mike:I will send you two network dumps and screenshots from the
management console

Regards

Volker